Today’s work arrangements have changed dramatically since the COVID-19 pandemic. Employees, as well as employers, had to quickly adapt to the changing conditions in order to continue working and sustain the business.
However, this rapid shift in teams from work-from-office to remote working has brought a different kind of flexibility in the workplace that could not have been possible before. Nowadays, employees are also looking for flexible work solutions that allow them to work from home, giving them flexibility and independence. Employers on the other hand have made the best out of remote working which helps them to hire globally and scale their operations in all directions.
Given all these factors, the market has seen a tremendous surge in contract or contingent staffing by companies and employees are all for it. If you’ve been thinking about jumping in, here’s everything you need to know about contract staffing.
1. What is contract staffing?
Like the name suggests, contract staffing refers to requirement of an employee on contract based on the current demands of the project. Many organizations take the help of contract staffing companies to hire qualified candidates on a temporary basis for particular projects or for a particular time frame.
Contract Staffing helps organizations to quickly ramp up project teams with qualified consultants, required to fill short-term and long-term needs. This also helps enterprises deliver projects and meet goals without any additional burden on the company. Apart from this, employees also enjoy the flexibility and free time that comes with a contract role.
2. How does Contractual Staffing help employees?
- Working on a contract basis gives employees more control over their schedules and work type along with flexibility.
- Contractual employees can work in time schedules that are more flexible and in line with their needs. They have control over the workload and often on the cost they incur.
- As a contractual employee, you can have potentially higher income giving your time on contract in different companies simultaneously and even working as part-time employees, who often get higher wages after experience.
3. Benefits for entrepreneurs
- Employers benefit from flexible hiring in contract staffing as per changing market conditions and work requirements. Contract hiring on basis on urgent work requirements can be advantageous if managed effectively.
- Potentially low employee cost as employers do not need to staff full-time workers for every position. A full time consultant can be expensive and a waste of resource, the same work can be done by a talented contract staff.
- Employers do not have to go through the additional work of tax filling, social benefits and variable pays with contractual personnel which can save additional costs.
4. Steps in contract staffing
The components of the staffing process include:
Estimated Resource Requirement: The first step is to assess the number and type of resource required depending on the project and work load. Often times a contract staffing company will help you analyse the workload and expected staffing that will be required for a particular project.
Recruitment Process: At this point, organisations need a contract staffing agency that will help them attract more people to apply for the open positions. With the help of various placement consultants, job portals, employment exchange referrals and advertisements, a contract staffing agency gets the word out so that competent contractual staff can be hired.
Selection Process: After this, a selection process is more or less similar to hiring any employee. A candidate with excellent credentials will then go through the process of interviews, tests and group discussions which helps companies determine the right candidate for the job.
Placement Procedure: Once selected, the suitable candidate will then be interviewed by the talent acquisition teams and get the allocated job role for which they were hired. They can then start working and taking over the roles and responsibilities assigned to them.
Contract staffing offers a plethora of benefits for employees as well as employers in the market. While contract employees get the flexibility and independence to work according to their schedules, businesses cut costs, hire on-demand and use a wide-network of talented resources globally. This is also why 65% employers believe moving forward they will increase the use of contract staffing personnels in the future.
However, contract staffing can be advantageous only when you have a wide network of resources and reach. This is where contract staffing services come into play. They provide you with the best candidates and talented resources for every project on demand. This is why companies instead of hiring on their own, outsources contract staffing to agencies and service providers.
For more information on contract staffing services for your company, reach out to JOY Consulting today.